Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Psalm 7 - 35: Better than red, ripe strawberries

Like a cool and calm oasis in the middle of a dry and deadly desert, the Psalms are so refreshing and energizing. While the saga of King David's life in 2 Samuel and 1 Kings revealed many of his shortcomings (he was guilty of adultery, murder, and negligent parenting), the Psalms reveal a man who was unabashedly in love with God.
- Hope for the hopeless:  "I dare to believe that the luckless will get luck someday in you. You won't let them down: orphans won't be orphans forever" (Psalm 10:14).
- More:  "God takes the side of victims" (Psalm 14:5-6).
- Love song:  "My choice is you, God, first and only. And now I find I'm your choice" (Psalm 16:5-6).
- Rewrites allowed:  "God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes" (Psalm 18:24).
- The road:  "What a God! His road stretches straight and smooth. Every God-direction is road-tested. Everyone who runs toward him makes it" (Psalm 18:30). This is a great question for each day: Am I running toward God? Or away from him?
- Mouthwatering:  "God's Word is better than red, ripe strawberries" (Psalm 19:10). I had a few sweet Trader Joe's strawberries for breakfast. They were delicious. And so was God's Word.
- David's relationship to God he summed up like this:  "God-friendship" (Psalm 25:14).
- About to burst:  "I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can't thank you enough" (Psalm 30:12).
- True religion:  "I hate all this silly religion, but you, God, I trust" (Psalm 31:6).


Elena's verse of the day:  "What the Lord has planned will stand forever. His thoughts never change" (Psalm 33:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment