Monday, July 12, 2010

Job 6 - 27: Is it okay to question God?

Out of order:  Job was a wealthy desert sheikh who lived during the times of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. (Not sure why the book of Job appears in this spot, when chronologically it belongs further back. Same with Esther--which belongs before Ezra & Nehemiah chronologically. I'll see if I can find an answer to this.)

Testing, testing:  Job underwent two divine tests: 1) His possessions, wealth, and children were taken away from him. 2) His health was destroyed. Everyone pretty much abandoned him, even his own servants who found him disgusting (he had weeping boils from head to toe). However, several friends came to visit. At first they seem sympathetic, but before long they accuse him of everything under the sun and even begin to mock him.
Questioning God:  Job decides to lay everything out on the table before God (Job 7). He makes several requests of God and begins to ask him questions (Job 14). I can relate to Job. Can you? Do you ever wonder these things or make these requests to God? Job was honest, painfully honest.
  • Lay off the afflictions...they are too much for me.
  • Address me directly. I need answers! 
  • What are my sins (that you would punish me so)?
  • If we humans die, will we live again? Will there be a Resurrection? 
  • Why do the wicked prosper? Why do good people suffer? (Job 21)
Elena's verse of the day:  "You, the source of my life, showered me with kindness and watched over me. You have not explained all of your mysteries" (Job 10:12-13).

No comments:

Post a Comment