Thursday, June 17, 2010

Numbers 3 - 13: Strange fire, sacrifice, & God's loyalty

- Strange fire:  The "strange fire" that resulted in the deaths of two of Aaron's sons is explained here in Numbers 3:2-4 as "unauthorized sacrifice." No one is exactly sure what "strange fire" means, but it offended God and violated his specific rules for the sacrificial system, so he responded with his own fire.
- The need for sacrifice:  When you commit a sin, you "break trust with God," according to Num 5:5-10. Thus the need for sacrifice to restore the relationship.
- Grumbling & a firestorm:  The peple "fell to grumbling over their hard life. God heard." His anger flared and fire burned up to the edge of the camp. But Moses, ever faithful and and courageous, prayed to God and the fire died down.
- Kill me:  Moses experienced burnout, though. It got to the point where he'd had enough with the people. The burden of their grumbling and immaturity was just too great: "If this is how you intend to treat me," he cried out to God, "do me a favor and kill me....let me out of here" (Num 11:11-15). God responded by creating a team to help lead the people and take some pressure off of Moses.
- God is loyal:  God got angry when Aaron and Miriam spoke against his servant, Moses. God was loyal and protective of his chosen leader. I think we need to be mindful of how we speak about our leaders. It's all too easy to grumble.

Elena's Verse of the day:  "The Lord answered, 'I can do anything! Watch and you'll see my words come true'" (Numbers 11:23).

I'm sharing a few thoughts from each day's reading. Feel free to jump in and share your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment