Sunday, June 13, 2010

Exodus 21-33: Pomegranates, craftsmanship, and when God changed his mind

- He'll be there:  Love this verse from yesterday's reading: "Every place where I cause my name to be honored in your worship, I'll be there myself and bless you" (Exodus 20:22-26). I wonder if this is why I always feel lighter and happier coming out of church? It's so simple--God is there and he blesses me.
- Intent:  I notice that God takes a person's "intent" into consideration when determining punishment for breaking the law. God is fair.
- Slurs against our leaders:  "Don't curse God and don't damn your leaders" (Exodus 22:28). It's tempting to damn leaders from the other political party. Don't.
- Get ready:  God tells the Israelites to get themselves ready for where God is taking them. Am I ready for where God is taking me? Are you?
- Pomegranate:  God designed Aaron's priestly clothing with pomegranate trim (Exodus 32:9-13). I wonder what the significance of the promegranate is? Research says: "The pomegranate, from the abundance of its seeds, was regarding in ancient times as an emblem of fruitfulness."
- Mysterious book:  What is the "book of the Covenant"? (Exodus 24:7). Apparently it's the second set of laws/codes given to Moses on Mt Sinai (the first was the 10 Commandments).
- Called & equipped:  God designed the tabernacle and everything in it, then he filled the craftsmen with the Holy Spirit so they could do the work. He gifted them with the skill, the know-how, and the expertise (Exodus 31:1-4).Please, Lord, do that for me!
- Chutzpah:  Moses pleaded with God and God changed his mind. Wow! (Exodus 32:2-4)

Verse of the day:  "I know you by name" (God speaking to Moses in Exodus 33:17)

Sharing a few thoughts from each day's reading. Feel free to jump in and share your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment