Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Genesis 1-18: Evil, rainbows & circumcision

I'll share a few notes from each day's reading. Feel free to jump in and share your own!

- Did you notice that God made the light (Day 1) before he made the sun (Day 4). Where did the light come from? Perhaps from God himself?


- Another murder: Five generations after Cain, another murder was committed by one of his descendants, named Lamech. Revenge was the motive. But interesting how sin seemed to run in that side of the family.

- Evil: "Human evil was out of control" is how the Message Bible puts it. But Noah was different. (Gen 6) I'm glad I didn't live in those times.

- The earth is on God's timetable. The seasons, days, and climates will not stop "for as long as the earth lasts." That gives me a lot of hope in times when the environment seems beyond our control. (Gen 8:22)

- "Live Bountifully!" is God's blessing to Noah after the flood. This earth is not our home, but we can still live bountifully and enjoy life here (Gen 9:7).

- Convenants: Already, in just this first day of reading, God has made two covenants with men. 1) With Noah & his descendants, that never again will there be a flood that destroys the earth. Symbol: Rainbow. 2) With Abram, that the Promised Land belongs to him and his descendants forever. Symbol: Circumcision.

Now, I'm about to dig back into Genesis for today's reading. Can't wait!

6 comments:

  1. God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. In my Bible it says "God tested Abraham". God already knows the outcome. The lesson for me is that God puts us in places where I have to rely solely on Him, trusting Him. Even when everything in side of me screams with fear. God WILL provide, He is ALWAYS faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the first reading was good. Yet hard, lots of evil early on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Carolin. I love how God provided the ram. Can you imagine Abraham's face when he saw the ram in the bushes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I noticed that, too. I know there was time in between, but it seemed like Adam and Eve were barely out of the garden before all hell broke loose (and maybe it really did!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I emailed you instead of posting a comment, oops. I noticed that the names repeated themselves in the early chapters. You'd think the sky would be the limit on names since they were the first humans but I guess there was some reason behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enoch was in there twice. Were there others?

    ReplyDelete